The age of 12 is a magical time of life. Balanced on the pivot between childhood and the furious transition to adulthood often referred to as “adolescence,” a 12 year old requires skills that will help carry him through a transition like no other.
Here are a handful of vital skills that young transitional tweens will need to catapult-assist them along their formative ways:
- Know how to clean up after yourself
- Know how to grow and catch food, and prepare your own meals
- Learn to easily move in and out of your comfort zones
- Learn to promote yourself
- Achieve mastery in a handful of unique skills that set you apart
- Learn to easily network with mentors and like-thinking peers
- Master the skills of creativity, from drawing to writing to tinkering to computer coding
- Become comfortable inside your own skin — make friends with all of your emotions
- Find a peaceful, solid place inside of you
- Master skills of traveling by land, air, and sea
- Become competent in managing money
- Know from experience how to start and run a business
- Learn advanced first aid, resuscitation, and rescue
- Learn the safe handling, operation, and maintenance of firearms and other weapons
- Master the skills of basic combat, evasion, and escape
- Know how to set and meet a wide range of personal goals
- Learn to get along in at least 3 languages besides your native tongue
- Learn to find the answers to anything you need to know on your own
- Be able to safely navigate any terrain, from the meanest inner city to the most inhospitable wilderness
- Know how to get your ideas across in writing, speaking, and multi-media formats
- Be in control of your own education in every sense of the word
- Exceed the academic attainments of most modern high school graduates
These are a few things that all 12 year olds should perhaps know and be able to do. But they are only guidelines, and actually apply to an age range between 12 and 14. Dangerous Children learn a much deeper and broader set of skills, of course, but not everyone can be a Dangerous Child.
As we have mentioned many times, a Dangerous Child will have mastered at least three means to financial independence by the age of 18. The list of 12 year old skills above should help most readers better comprehend the trajectory of childhood learning that allows an 18 year old to reach the point of multiple independence.
Imagine a society where each young man and woman is competent to face life on his own terms. That is the world of the Dangerous Child.
Government functionaries live in fear of such a society. But you can live in it, if you choose.
Sources for above list:
Notice that the sources above refer to skills that “every 24 year old” should learn. Here at the Al Fin Institutes, we believe that if you wait until age 24 to learn these skills, you are more than half-way to a lifetime of perpetual adolescent incompetence.
Children deserve better than the half-assed approach to child-raising and education that most modern societies have settled for.Advertisements